[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Transactions support on MySql

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:06:30 -0500

"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

> Evan Simpson writes:
> >Unless you want to generate PDF or Postscript files on the fly, you are
> >*not* going to get what you want from a browser-based application,
> >regardless of the server.  Neither Zope nor any other Web App can
> >control how your browser will print an HTML page (AFAIK).
>
> Not in general, but within the Big Two you could do
> something. www.fedex.com lets you print shipping receipts with
> barcodes; I assume it's done by making the barcode from one-pixel GIF
> images that get stretched to make the lines of the bar code.

I don't imagine that the barcodes would be a problem; There are a number of ways
to generate them.  The problem is that he wants to fill in pre-printed forms.  He
seems to need precise page-placement in his printout, which you *might* be able
to manage if you mandate a particular version of a particular browser, and use a
lot of tables.  Sounds shaky, though.