[Zope] RE: zope: edit link at bottom (was: Simple "What You See Is What You Edit" feature)

Chris Fassnacht cfassnacht@ssc.wisc.edu
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:04:25 -0500

Darran,

Glad you enjoyed the tip.  My users thought it was an amazing feature.  I'm
a little embarassed it took me so long to figure it out though.

I understand your frustration with the learning curve.  I think a lot of it
is just that Zope is so flexible and powerful that it would be overwhelming
even if you had all the documentation in front of you.  One thing I've been
doing is to print off all the documentation and useful how-to's, e-mails,
etc. and save them in my "Zope Binder."

Another thing I've been doing is to download the mail list archives, save
them as text, and then use at text indexer (I'm using the 30-day evaluation
version of dtSearch - www.dtsearch.com, in my opinion the best around) to
search for answers to my questions.  I really wish they'd put the archives
into a zcatalog so they could be searched using boolean logic, but until
then, this is one of the most powerful ways to find answers (and code) to
your questions.  There's a lot of stuff in the archives that is nowhere to
be found in the documentation, and, as a new user, chances are good that
someone else has already had your same question/problem.

Gradually, I've been able to put a lot of answers together between the
documentation I'm accumulating, searching the list archives using dtSearch,
experimenting with Zope (versions and the interface really encourage trying
things out), reading the source (Python is surprisingly readable), and (last
ditch) emailing the list, where I've invariably gotten great help.

Hang in there.  I have no doubt that Zope is a valuable tool that'll pay off
for the investment in time and effort.

Chris