[Zope] Zope, Emacs, and IDEs

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:52:16 -0400

Eron wrote:

> Seeing all the traffic on the Zope mailing-list in reference to
> WYSIWYG editors brought me to wonder a few things (please excuse me if
> these are redundant questions, but I haven't found any info on
> them..).
>
>    * I hear it's possible to edit Zope objects (DTML, etc.) from
>      within Emacs. Is this possible? And if so, is there any way to
>      configure syntax highlighting and do formatting? This honestly
>      would be the only editing tool I need. Is there info on this
>      anywhere?

If you run ZServer with the FTP option, in Emacs you can use ange-ftp:

C - x C - f
/username@server port:/path/to/object

The literal space ' ' is inserted by hitting C - q <space bar>

(C - x C - f is Emacs notation for Control-X Control-F, if you didn't
know).

With Xemacs:

C - x C - f
/username@server#port:/path/to/object

>    * If it is possible to use Emacs, then what about other text
>      editors? The TEXT form on the browser management screen just
>      isn't what I need when I'm on the server machine. How about using
>      something like the GtkEditor widget wrapped either in PyGTK or
>      WxWindows/Python, where you can have a slim text IDE that can
>      edit, format, and highlight Zope objects, HTML, XML, and python
>      code. Something like Homesite, without all the fluff :-).

I heard a rumor someone was working with wxPython and XML-RPC to make a
Zope client...

-Michel