[Zope] (no subject)

Ping Lau pinglau@theoffice.net
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:09:58 -0700 (PDT)

>The reason we've been talking about PDF is that PDF
files are explicitly
>designed to reproduce pages exactly as you specify,
with everything
positioned
>just so.  Unless you use Acrobat Reader or some
similar technology, you are
>going to find it very difficult to get your data to
line up right on your
>pre-printed forms. HTML (the format your browser
understands, and which
Zope
>usually supplies) was never meant for precise
positioning of page
elements --
>quite the opposite, in fact.  This is a much larger
problem than generating
the
>barcodes, which will depend on the document format
you choose for printing.

>Is there some reason why Zope is an especially good
fit for your
application?
>From what you've mentioned so far, I'd suggest
sticking to Delphi (or
learning
>Python, but that's another story :-)

Two main reasons that I see Zope is a good fit for my
application, which is
a freight management system.

1. With the built in Security Model, I can easily
prevent customers from
viewing other customers' freight information.  Some of
our customers are
competitors among themselves.

2. I just love to program in high level languages.  I
have tried Java.  If
my current project gives me more time, I would have
used Enhydra.  But Zope
gives me a few built in tools that I would have to
write myself if I were
using Enhydra.

Why I don't stick to Delphi?  Because I only used
Delphi to write a small
program 2 years ago.  I haven't used it since then.
Oh yes, I will
definitely learn Python :-)

Regards,
Ping