[Zope] RE: Off topic - RE: [Zope] Allaire Spectra

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:40:43 +0200

[snip]
> >ColdFusion EAS is in turn pretty expensive. (Although not
> expensive in
> >enterprise terms. Just so expensive that somebody can't "install and
> >play around with it".)
>
> Demo is free to download and it's so easy to get up and running
> that within 2 weeks you'll know whether CF is for you. Well, maybe
> not you personally since you're a python fiend, but Joe Shmoe in
> general.

Indeed, but afaik they do not offer a free version for noncommercial
purposes. In other words, you can play around with it, but unless you
buy the full version, your testing is limited by the evaluation license.
That's what I was referring to.

> >In other words, everything Zope isn't and will
> >never be.
>
> Come now, we can't ignore the similarities between the 2 products.
> middleware <g>, caching, app server.  Spectra builds on top of that
> in the same way our Zope 'products' build ontop of Zope.
>
> The differences lie in :
> a) how it's marketed (which is what you describe above)
> b) how it's implemented. ie. technology.

c) How open it is. This is, for me, a crucial difference, nay, _the_
difference between these two products.

You point (b) is significant because Cold Fusion is closer to PHP, ASP,
and possibly also Notes in implementation. Cold Fusion is, that I know,
uses a file/document paradigm -- serving stuff out of the local file
system.

> >Good news, I think. They're not learning.
>
> On the contrary, I believe that there is a great deal that we
> could learn from CF.

You missed my meaning. They're not learning the value of open-source,
open, free software.

[snip]
> Their packaging is superb. This *is* important though we (when
> wearing our 'techie' hats) would like to think it isn't. I don't
> refer to the pretty box that software arrives in, I refer to the
> completeness of the documentation, the website, the very simple
> tutorials that get people up and running in no time at all. They
> understand their target audience well ... and the docs are
> written such that even a total mong would understand. Yes, I
> speak from experience in the department ;)

Good point. They're good at marketing.

> This isn't meant as a flame or bait and the list is busy enough as it
> is so pls send abuse directly to me.

Don't worry. But if it's abuse you want, you'll find some here:
	http://alabanza.com/kabacoff/Inter-Links/cgi/bard.cgi

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"He could open a tin of sardines with his teeth, strike a Swan