[Zope] Community Glossary

Joshua Brauer joshua@brauer.org
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:38:34 -0600

At 7:40 AM -0500 9/29/99, Jeff Rush wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:01:46 -0700, Loren Stafford wrote:
>
> >On sites like www.zope.org, I think there's a need for a what might be
> >called a "community glossary", which is what you would expect of a glossary,
> >but has these additional characteristics:
>
>[...]
>
>I think it would be of very general use -- I want it for a web site I'm
>setting up on micro-robots, which brings together people from
>diverse technical backgrounds.  The glossary would define
>mechanical, electrical, aerodynamic, materials terminology, so
>that the pages that make up the site would contain links to the
>definitions.  In my plan, the definitions can also contain an
>optional image, to better show a concept or physical part.

[...]

Just a comment that when somebody is working on such a product there is also a need/desire for glossary items that link outside of the site they are a part of. Userland's Frontier does this by assessing anything in quotes. Thus, "Zope" becomes <A HREF="http://www.zope.org">Zope</A> in the rendering of the page. I find this kind of mechanism especially easy for authors and content providers to use. I don't know enough about the processing of DTML methods/documents to know if this is practical.

Josh

                                    # # #

Joshua Brauer                                         Box 915
http://www.brauer.org                          Fort Collins, CO 80522
Fax: (419) 793-4120
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
          -- Wilbur Wright in a letter to his father, September 1900