[Zope] Changing Contexts (Was: [Zope] Acquisition? Did I just lose my Zen?)

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:09:25 -0400

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 02:29:43AM +0100, Toby Dickenson wrote:

> I had been working with Zope for six months before realising that
> acquisition did not work that way already, and I was relieved. Maybe I
> can persuade you that it would be a bad thing.....
>
> With the rules as they are, an object can always rely on acquisition
> to source its containers first. Think of an object's containers as
> part of it's implementation, and the rules feel right.
>
> Under the rules suggested by Martjin, acquisition would source
> attributes from an object's customers in preference to its containers
> (As Jay wrote, the place where you acquired it _to_, rather than the
> place where you acquired it _from_). I don't think you could use that
> kind of acquistion to build a robust application, because of the
> unbounded number of potential clients each object might encounter.

Ok, now I'm really confused.

Acquisition differs from inheritance precisely _because_ what the
acquirer "acquires" things from depends on where you _use_ it, rather
than where you _created_ it, no?

I think it's time for ASCII art.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592