[Zope] Question about the performace of Zope and if there is a way to use pop3

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 20:54:28 +0200

Hi Jens,

> jensebaer wrote:
>
> Hi Zopers,
>
> i have a general problem. May someone can help me.
>
> the users of my site should be able to lay down their content on the
> site (creating their own websites / like tripod) and they should have
> the possibility to get an email acount. user@myserver.com
> Every user should have the possibility to use pop3 to get his mail
> from the server.
>
> At the moment I am using Zope (with Medusa) and Apache.
>
> I want to use Zope but i dont know if there is a limit of users on the
> site (performance). I think 5 000 users are to many???????
>
> I thought about using mySQL to handel the useracounts (I think there
> is already aproduct for this), but whats about the content of the
> users. Should the content be stored into the zope database or can I
> store the
> content at the linux filesystem?

There are several ways to get Zope-users synchron to system users.
May be etcUserFolder is what you want.

> I thought about saving the data under /home/siteuser//content for
> example (by using a python funktion???) but then I have to use the
> useradd linux command and I am not quit sure if this work. Security?
> Is there a way to add user in linux? I think that can be a solution
> for the pop3 email problem.

Don't mix up web content and pop3. Zope is fine for web, but not
designed
for e-mail and pop3. You may want to use cyrus imapd, which also handles
pop3.
But most linux-distributions (you sound to using some sort of linux?)
include
at least one smtpd and pop3d.

> I hope I was able to explain my problem.
>
> I do not know much about Linux and Python but I have to find a
> solution.
> Any suggestions about this?

All of us were beginners some day. But I would encourrage you to lern
more about
your system you are using before acting as a service-provider.
Ok, its good to jump in moderate cold water. Buts if its to cold, your
heart can
stop .-) As to speak in pictures :-)

Best wishes,
Tino Wildenhain