[Zope] Why so many problems with database adapters?

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 01:45:33 PDT

I know this is a moot issue: "... since developing database
adapters doesn't contribute to our revenue, we won't spend time
on it."

But currently the database adapters have problems. I have
tried SybaseDAv2 and ZODBC. A few problems have been reported
to the Collector with patches. But no actions taken on the
part of Digicool, for a long time.

This reminds me of Java's Bug Parade... which was rather
frustrating... you reported a bug, crossed your fingers, and
hopefully in 4 or 5 months it would get fixed... this after
your commercial project already got killed. Yes, you fixed
the bug, but I am no longer using Java. :)

Is there another way of loosening the tight control of release
of products? If Digicool does not have the man-power for taking
care of release of some component, why not figure out a way
for others to jump in and do the fixes? Why repeat the mistakes
and shortcomings of the Java Bug Parade system? Is there a way
somehow of linking in the product pages to some sort of user
feedback? It will be more honest to let new users become aware
of the problems of the current products and where they can
find the patches. Currently, a new user happily download
a product with the false hope that it will work properly.
If there is some sort of user-comment (like Amazon's book
review), then the user would know what problems there are
with the current release of the product, and whether there
are patches already made by someone. A publicly visible user
feedback would also probably accelerate the fixes of products,
be they made by Digicool or any outside people. I guess a
message bulletin board linked to each individual product gives
much better help than letting new users wade through tons of
mailing list messages. (Product owners can remove nasty
or unappropriate feedback messages, if necessary.)

On one hand Zope advertises that it has database adapters to
most databases, on the other hand we know that these adapters
have problems that sit unfixed. Database is critical in most
commercial applications, and frankly Digicool is risking
a bit when mouthwords come out about the quality of the
database adapters and the lack of support.

regards,

Hung Jung