[Zope] The best way to set up Multiple Zopes?

Stephen Harrison stephen@nipltd.com
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:28:07 +0100

> I want to set up multiple Zope's on my Linux Box (6.1 running Apache with
> Virtual Hosts). The sites need to respond to different URLs and I think they
> should have different ZODBs. So... the questions are...
>
> 1) What is the best way to do this? (Proxy Pass, Zope.cgi, etc)

ProxyPass is certainly a nice clean way to do it.  Since you are
already using Virtual Hosts this should be no problem - just set up
a VHost for each site.

If you want distinct zope installations then configure each one to
run with a separate port base (eg. 8000, 7000, 8100, 8200).
Conceptually you want to assign a block of 100 ports to each zope
installation, out of this block zope uses the ports it wants (xx21 ftp,
xx80 http, xx99 monitor).

Finally, proxy pass each VHost to localhost:xx80/

> 2) Has anyone done this and what has been their experience?

Not with multiple zopes, but with a combination of zope and other
http servers on the same machine and the principle is the same,
although it won't be too long before we are running multiple zopes.

> 3) Are there any resource issues in terms of memory, processor, etc?

Obviously, each instance of zope is going to require another set of
resources (memmory, disk, i/o).

Are you sure you need multiple zopes?  Or could you run each site
inside a directory in one zope with, say, a SiteRoot product in each
one?

Cheers,
Stephen

--