[Zope] Best way to run virtual web sites using Zope??

Stephen Harrison stephen@nipltd.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:24:28 +0100

> I am interested in creating several web sites of the form
>
> 	Fire.mydomain.com
> 	Water.mydomain.com
> 	Earth.mydomain.com
> 	Sky.mydomain.com
>
> The "elements" are incidental!  I would like to keep things
> on a single server.  Can I do this??  It seems like Apache
> does this kind of thing, but I don't have much experience
> with it.

Well, as with everything, there are choices, multiple choices infact,
some of which follow:

- You could run a copy of zope for each site.
  If you do this, then you have a further choice:
  - You could expose zope directly to each host.  This you could do
    if you have a separate IP address for each host.  Each zope
  could then be configured to listen on port 80 to that IP address.
  - You could proxy each zope behind something like apache.  This
    you could do either based on IP address, or via Virtual Hosts off
   the one IP address.

- You could run one copy of zope and have each site on different
parts of this zope.
  If you do this then you need to put zope behind something like
apache as described above.  You would also want to employ Site
Root for each site.

It depends a lot on what you want to achieve, what options you
have available to you (eg. IP addresses) and how much control you
have over the setup (apache, lots of zopes, ports, etc.)

Once you have answered these questions, you can narrow down
the options and start to make some decisions.

> The sites, BTW, do not necessarily have anything to do with
> each other and will probably be completely different so sharing
> and inheriting between sites is not a concern (unless it can be
> done!!)

You certainly have the option of running the sites off a shared zope
which would allow you to share resources.

Cheers,
Stephen

--
Stephen Harrison - stephen@nipltd.com