[Zope] another database option: Kdb

Gijs Reulen greulen@gilsing.nl
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:45:00 +0100

Hi there

See link: www.Kx.com

I am a newbie with Zope; just went through some docs and keeping
an eye on this list. Cool tool !
I like to point out to a database I came across a while ago: Kdb.
It is a very small application, written in the language k. The total
download is only 400 kb ! The database is build to be very fast.
From what I understand it stores data in fields instead of records
as 'old' databases do. It also tries to keep everything in ram and is
very efficient using it.
The company behind it pushes the product for analysing very large
datasets: telephone-companies, minute to minute share-prices and
such. From what I read and heard the speed is really incredible !!
The commercial version starts at about USD 5000, but their site
has a free testversion available which can hold easily a few million
records ...
That not all: they believe accessing the data is very important (ok,
ok) and offer interfacing with java, Visual Basic, odbc, etc but most
interesting also something like "http://localhost:2080/.xml?select
sum amount by stock > from trade".
Have a look at the company: www.kx.com

Gijs Reulen