[Zope] Zope Eating Memory for Breakfast

Monty Taylor mtaylor@goldridge.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:47:34 +0200

--------------0268C46904BB549A190B2041

Bill Anderson wrote:

> Monty Taylor wrote:
>
> >       Zope version: Zope 2.1.4 (source release, python 1.5.2, linux2)
> >       Python version: 1.5.2 (#1, Feb 14 2000, 18:27:27) [GCC 2.95.1
> > 19990816 (release)]
> >       System Platform: sunos5
> >       Process ID: 2977 (5)
> >       Running for: 7 hours 26 min 7 sec
>
> What about for your test server?
> What are the loads/restart frequency of the test server?

Well, there's virtually no load on the test server, because I use the
Zope installation on it to test new products, but not the day-to-day
DTML-type development. ( I figure that if a piece of DTML can crash a
server, I'm not good enough yet to write it. ) But it stays up
indefinitely. --

      Zope version: Zope 2.1.4 (source release, python 1.5.2, linux2)
      Python version: 1.5.2 (#1, Feb 14 2000, 18:27:27) [GCC 2.95.1
19990816 (release)]
      System Platform: sunos5
      Process ID: 9004 (5)
      Running for: 14 days 13 hours 31 sec

> > > (7) Memory growth pattern: my Zope starts out with 7 MB in each
> > > of the 4 threads. It starts to climb up slowly, by the end of
> > > the day it reaches 18 MB per thread. After 3 days it climbs up
> > > to 38 MB. That's about 160 MB total. (No, I don't think the
> > > threads are sharing memory, because the Linux "top" command
> > > also tells me the percentage of memory usage.)
> >
> > When I restart it, it starts out at about 18Meg. Then it gradually
> > grows, and I eventually notice that it's at 258M. I'll keep a better eye
> > on that.
>
> So I make sure I understand:
> o Your Data.fs is ~525MB
> o Zope's memory usage starts at 1t ~18MB
> o Zope's memory usage grows for there
> o Uptime: Zope is restarted (or is the machine restarted?) a few times a
> week
>
> Right?

Right, Zope is restarted a few times a week currently, but that's
because I notice it having grown huge. There really isn't anything else
that would ever cause it to come down.

> >       Total number of objects in the database                11057
> >       Total number of objects in all of the caches combined       1502
> >       Target size 400
> >       Target maximum time between accesses 20
> >
> > I also have Zope on another Solaris Box (which is considerably smaller)
>
> What os is it running?

bash-2.03$ uname -a
SunOS canis 5.7 Generic_106541-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

> > and on a Linux machine. Neither present this problem. The other Solaris
> > box is our test machine, and no code goes on the Production Box that
> > hasn't gone on the test machine, so I'm even more confused. One of our
> > first thoughts concerned the compiler on the big boy, as it was put
> > there before we got here (old admins) but the same one would go on the
> > test as the
> > prod.
> >
> > Anyone else?
>
> Just trying to narrow by process of elimination....
> When you put Zope on the big boy, was it a clean install, or was it
> copied over from the test machine? If the latter, I am presuming it was
> rebuilt, correct? What about options to the compiler (if any), such as
> optimizations, architecture-dependent flags, etc.?

Now this is the one thing my SysAdmin is looking into -- our C compiler
situation. We've got GCC but no native C compiler, making us wonder
about the validity of the GCC on the box. (Previous sysadmins) I do know
that the installation on the Production box was built on the smaller
test box, but architecture wise they are the same -- just size is
different.
--------------0268C46904BB549A190B2041

begin:vcard
n:Taylor;Monty
tel;cell:+31 (0)6 200 17486
tel;fax:+31 (0)20 589 5566
tel;work:+31 (0)20 589 5517
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.goldridge.net
org:Information Innovation
adr:;;Amstelveenseweg 88-90;Amsterdam;;1075 XJ;The Netherlands
version:2.1
email;internet:mtaylor@goldridge.net
title:Information Artist
x-mozilla-cpt:;0