[Zope] Zope Eating Memory for Breakfast

Tony.McDonald@newcastle.ac.uk Tony.McDonald@newcastle.ac.uk
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 09:54:06 +0100 (BST)

> Tony McDonald wrote:
> >
> > At 1:00 pm +0200 12/4/00, Monty Taylor wrote:
> > >Would anyone happen to have any idea why something like this would
> > >happen?
> > >This is on Solaris 2.7 with Zope 2.1.4. I can provide any other info you
> > >like, but I'm not sure what would be useful to know.
> > >
> > >  5866 zope       8  10    0 2262M 2034M cpu2  149:09 24.70% python
>
> > File uploads/downloads?
> >
> > I think that's what's causing my own colossal memory footprints...I
> > believe Zope is caching the files that are uploaded/downloaded, and
> > as we have a large number of files that are > 10 megs. They're all
> > held on external storage however.
> >
> > But I'm only guessing - I didn't get any concrete answers/theories as
> > to why this might be happening when I asked this question before.
>
> Tony,
>
> Is there anything evident from Control_Panel/manage_debug?  You'll need
> to be a bit clever to grok the refcounting stuff, but serious memory
> leaks should be pretty obvious to the eye.
>
> -Michel

Sorry for the later reply - been out the office and am going to be away until Thursday, but this thread is too important to let lapse for a week.

I've used manage_debug a little in the past - but I'm not 100% sure what it is I'm looking at.

For example, the first 4 lines in my popup on one of my sites is;
ExtensionClass: 266
Shared.DC.ZRDB.Results.SQLAlias: 197
DocumentTemplate.DT_Util.Eval: 193
Products.ZGadflyDA.gadfly.kjParser.ParseRule: 161

Thing is, I don't use gadfly for anything on my site.

I also have 6 connection boxes open on this page - My z2.py is set for 4 threads.

My other problem is that my captive audience of testers-users (the Medical Students) have all left for the Easter vac.

Any thoughts on this are gratefully accepted.
tone.