[Zope] Best way to order objects in folder?

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:04:32 +0200

Alexander Schonfeld wrote:

> What is the best way to specify an order to objects?  It always seems to
> come down to making a token/list property with object ids.  But this is
> annoying since I have to change two places if the id changes... and it
> breaks the site if I forget.
>
> Maybe a folder which assigns #s to its objects and allows re-arranging?
>
> Any people doing similar stuff?  Any ideas?

I have made something similar for the ZDPTools. ZDPTools is in use at
the zope documentation project (http://zdp.zop.org) site. It works by
assigning an order property to each of the items in a folder. These can
be changed manually using a form. For this to work automatically, you'd
have to have either a custom add method (which also adds the property),
or use cloning or ZClasses (ZDPTools uses ZClasses). ZDPTools is
available from http://www.zope.org/Members/roeder, but I don't think
Maik roeder already included the orderer in them.

Rik