[Zope] ADO Database Connections

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:51:46 -0700

There's a few issues in your email here that I'm going to have to punt
on George, because I can't speak for them.  But I will try and help with
a few of them.

George Runyan wrote:

> Lack of support for Native database functionality in ZOPE is a major
> drawback and getting every DB vendor to code Python Drivers for ZOPE doesn't
> seem reasonable from a maintenance standpoint on both sides of the
> coin(developer/database manufacturer). Coding a DB connection manager to an
> "DB DRIVER standard"(I use the term loosely) would provide better long term
> support and flexibility.

I agree.

> I'm not quite sure what Python's equiv to Perl's DBI is... and I dont
> believe its nearly as well supported, yet.

Python has a DBI standard like Perls.  From what I know about the
situation, it is not as mature in terms of supported platforms or
features.  Some people also have beefs with the Perlish way in which it
was done in Python, not leverging Python's OOness enough.

> I believe OpenLink and Digital Creations were going to be working out an
> agreement, or so was the posibility.  I'm still waiting for this so I can
> update some internal folks.  What is the status of the future DA
> development?  MySQL and PostgreSQL are usually maintained actively by the
> community.  How about Oracle, Sybase, Informix, DB/2, Unify?

We commercially support an Oracle and Sybase Zope DA.  DB/2 should work
with the ODBC DA, I'd imagine?  I'm not certain.

> Is there going
> to be a public announcement?  How would you go about getting support from
> both companies for a particular DA in ZOPE?

We offer our standard commercial support for Oracle and Sybase.  The
information is on the digicool.com site.

> I am thinking it would be harder (MUCH) to say to a client (or project
> manager), "welllll.. adapter's dont really exist, we have to buy support
> from two companies who then have to work together to create the most
> important piece of software for the project - because it doesnt exist yet
> (i.e. Unify Zope DA)..."  this would make people feel _VERY_ uncomfortable.
> How does this work?  Would someone goto DC for the DA to be
> created/supported?  or to OpenLink?  or would someone have to co-ordinate
> the two?  what if I just want a Unify Zope DA?  just go somewhere pay (how
> much $$$??) and get it in X days for Y amount of money for Z worth of
> support?

There are pretty vaild concerns.

> what about FastCGI support from FastEngines?  Is that existing as well?

I'm not really certain, but it's not really my place to comment on that
either.  We've been moving along pretty well on our FastCGI support
against mod_fcgi.  I don't think anyone has approached FastEngines to
test the waters WRT Zope.  They're not a new startup, so I would imagine
they have support personnel for this, whether or not you want to be the
test case...

> I've not heard too much from the 'uber-corporate' side of support in ZOPE.
> what is ZOPE's direction in these areas?  ZEO is suppose to be announced
> *soon* ? (next few weeks?)

yes.

> and the types of corporations who use this
> software will have these problems, I imagine.

It's unexplored ground, but I definatly look toward it optimisticly.

-Michel