[Zope] Database maintenance issues

Meilicke, Scott scott.meilicke@intp.com
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:40:26 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFAFC8.0AA9938E

Agreed, I don't need to restart the service.  I was just worried about
packing the database, then some time later doing something that requires a
restart, like installing a product, and having a failure at that point
attributable to the pack failure.  At worst I would have to revert to the
database prior to the pack.  Having been in the business for a few years and
knowing Murphy's Law from direct experience, I'm just being cautious I
guess.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Atwood [mailto:Jatwood@bwanazulia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 1:48 PM
To: Meilicke, Scott; 'zope@zope.org'
Subject: Re: [Zope] Database maintenance issues

Why do you have to restart Zope? I pack the database now and again (usually
after a lot of management) and never restart Zope.

From: "Meilicke, Scott" <scott.meilicke@intp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:34:54 -0700
To: "'zope@zope.org'" <zope@zope.org>
Subject: [Zope] Database maintenance issues

Hi all,

I've had some interesting database maintenance behavior.  When I go to the
control panel, Database Management, and "Pack" items older than 100 days,
then restart zope, zope doesn't restart.  python just sucks up an entire cpu
(dual cpu server, NT).  If I Pack older than 5 days, and restart, all is
well and zope comes right back.    Note my database is probably about 2
months old, although it's gone through several installations of zope,
starting with 2.1.3, on linux and NT.  It seems if I Pack items older than
the database, I corrupt the db some how.  I'm running 2.1.6 on NT with sp5.
Any thoughts?

Thanks - Scott

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFAFC8.0AA9938E

<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<TITLE>Re: [Zope] Database maintenance issues</TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2920.0" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN
class=096563721-26042000>Agreed, I don't need to restart the
service.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was just worried about packing the database, then some
time later doing something that requires a restart, like installing a product,
and having a failure at that point attributable to&nbsp;the pack failure.&nbsp;
At worst I would have to revert to the database prior to the pack.&nbsp; Having
been in the business for a few years and knowing Murphy's Law from direct
experience, I'm just being cautious I guess.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN
class=096563721-26042000></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN
class=096563721-26042000>Scott</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV align=left class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> J. Atwood
  [mailto:Jatwood@bwanazulia.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, April 26, 2000 1:48
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> Meilicke, Scott; 'zope@zope.org'<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re:
  [Zope] Database maintenance issues<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>Why do you have to
  restart Zope? I pack the database now and again (usually after a lot of
  management) and never restart Zope.<BR><BR>J<BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE><BR><B>From: </B>"Meilicke, Scott"
    &lt;scott.meilicke@intp.com&gt;<BR><B>Date: </B>Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:34:54
    -0700<BR><B>To: </B>"'zope@zope.org'" &lt;zope@zope.org&gt;<BR><B>Subject:
    </B>[Zope] Database maintenance issues<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE><BR><FONT size=2>Hi all,</FONT> <BR><BR><FONT size=2>I've had
    some interesting database maintenance behavior. &nbsp;When I go to the
    control panel, Database Management, and "Pack" items older than 100 days,
    then restart zope, zope doesn't restart. &nbsp;python just sucks up an
    entire cpu (dual cpu server, NT). &nbsp;If I Pack older than 5 days, and
    restart, all is well and zope comes right back. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Note my
    database is probably about 2 months old, although it's gone through several
    installations of zope, starting with 2.1.3, on linux and NT. &nbsp;It seems
    if I Pack items older than the database, I corrupt the db some how.
    &nbsp;I'm running 2.1.6 on NT with sp5. &nbsp;Any thoughts?</FONT>
    <BR><BR><FONT size=2>Thanks - Scott</FONT>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFAFC8.0AA9938E--