[Zope] Zope's scalability across multiple web servers

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:37:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> > Why is that? I thought the connection overhead and maintainence of a RDBMS
> > was a big deal? This gets brought up a lot. And I like to hear opinions.
> > am aware that whatever justification is given is purely about what works
> > for you, but I'd love to hear the reasoning.
>
> Actually, I think the ZODB is great. You wouldn't want to use it for a high
> overwrite situation (like a hit counter), but if you're *adding* things ZODB
> seems just fine. ZODB is really easy to work with and model things in.
> Philip & Ty's new SheetProvider stuff will help blur the lines between the
> ZODB and an RDBMS, too. If you have a few properties of an object that
> change frequently, just stick them on a property sheet that gets pulled from
> an RDBMS.

And never forget the filesystem! Allows highly efficient concurrent
writes, optimized caching at the kernel level, has a nice hierarchical
structure and there are many tools to work with it! In situations where
you have high write rates but the write operations are decoupled to a
degree that no file locking is required (for instance session info) then
an FS solution can be *very* fast.

Pavlos