[Zope] Zope with two platforms.

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:58:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Francisco Assis Rosa wrote:
> We would like to be able to have
> new developments on products to be passed
> from the development platform to the
> staging platform and to have new
> content to be passed from the staging
> platform to the development platform.

I wonder if you could put your content in a mountable
storage and just periodically copy that storage down
to the development machine, and similarly periodically
copy the master storage (containing the ZClasses) up
from the development machine.  If your products
are Python products you wouldn't even need a mountable
storage.

> Also, how would you see schema versioning
> How could we for instance deal with
> objects generated from a product if the product
> schema changes ?

Zope uses the __setstate__ method for handling this
case in Python products.  I think there's a howto somewhere but I'm
not sure.  If not you can find examples of calling it in
the Zope sources.  For ZClasses the objects get all their
info from the ZClass, so you generally don't run into upgrade
problems (though people have run into trouble with properties
they have tried to delete hanging around on existing instances).

--RDM