[Zope] ZPoPyDA installation: help needed

Holger Lehmann lehmann@catworkx.de
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 11:14:24 +0200

Hi Hung Jung,

you stumbled across a tiny problem there :-)

<disclaimer>
everyone trying to get informations about how to install ZPoPyDA will not find
the answer here, I am merely explaining what went wrong at Hung Jung's box :-)
</disclaimer>

first things first:
rpm packaes do contain information about outher packages or
libraries they need respectively they interfer with.

<what happened>
So what happend is that the rpm program told you that the package
postgresql-devel-7.0.2-2.i386.rpm needs a package that provides postgresql
version 7.0.2 as well as two library references libc.so.6 in the glibc2.0 and
the glibc2.1 version.
</what happened>
<history>
Here is a little history on this:
there once was glibc1.0 (read: gnu libc 1.0, libc being a library for the
programming language C)
Sometime ago it split into two libraries, one that remained glibc the other
became the linux libc. This linux libc developed much faster than the other one
(no offences meant) and when the linux libc had a version number like libc5.x
they decided to merge the two project again.
So one day it became libc6.0 aka glibc2.0 (thats where the GLIBC_2.0 comes
from) and by now it has become glibc2.1.x (still also called libc6).
So much for history.
</history>
<technics>
Now for some technics,
nearly all programs need libraries, the especially need shared libraries. Those
are the lib<somename>.so.<some version> (see the so in the middle ?). These are
needed at runtime.
They also appear as lib<somename>.so for programming
purposes. The libraries with a .a instead of a .so at the end are so called
static libraries (just for the completeness of the matter), they are not needed
at runtime, just for compiling programs.
</technics>

So the libc.so indeed is a shared object as well as, only in this case, also is
the shared library.

Now judging from the "errors" you wrote it looks as if yu are missing the
postgres SQL database server itself as well as you are not running a libc6 but
mereley a libc5 system ?

try this:
rpm -qf /lib/libc.so*

and if the output is *not* like this:
libc-2.1.3 but more like libc5 or equal you are running a libc5 system.
That means you might only have the supplemental compatibility libc6.0 libs
installed which do not provide full functional compaltibility for glibc6.1
system, sorry.

<solution>
But there is always an upside :-)
Check out http://rpmfind.net and go to the rpm database and then to packages by
name and then to p (like in postgresql) and see if they have a binary (i.e.
i386) rpm for libc5 (!). If they do, please
download the
postgresql-devel-<version>-<build>.i386.rpm
postgresql-<version>-<build>.i386.rpm

and try to install both packages. You can do this on one commandline (i.e. rpm
-i  <rpm1> <rpm2> <rpm3> ... <rpmn>) there you do not need to follow order
since the rpm program finds out what provides what and sorts it out ....

- Holger

PS: ever though about upgrading your installation ? You might get benefits (and
lots of work) by doing this.

Am Die, 08 Aug 2000 schrieb Hung Jung Lu:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to install ZPoPyDA (database adapter for PostGreSQL.) And
> I am kind of stuck.
>
> I was told to install the RedHat PostGreSQL development RPM first. But I
> can't even install this RPM. I must be missing something obvious.
>
> # rpm --install postgresql-devel-7.0.2-2.i386.rpm
> failed dependencies:
>         postgresql = 7.0.2 is needed by postgresql-devel-7.0.2-2
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by postgresql-devel-7.0.2-2
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by postgresql-devel-7.0.2-2
>
> what is the libc.so shared object? Is it part of standard C library? Is it
> part of Red Hat Linux? Where can I find/get it? Do I need to set any
> particular path? Do I need to modify the /etc/ld.so.conf file?
>
> regards,
>
> Hung Jung

catWorkX GmbH Hamburg
Dipl.-Ing. Holger Lehmann