[Zope] Defining High Load in Heavily DB Driven site (was: [Zope] zope2.2.0 and what is high load)

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:09:37 +0200

Hello!

I need to find more info on how Zope handles threading with relation to
database connections.

I am currently considering and evaluating Zope as one of the options we have
to build a really large, completely databasedriven "enterprise scale"
web-platform. I am a bit worried about this "maximum of 7 threads per db
connection" limitation mentioned previously, and I need to know a) what does
this mean in terms of accesibility, b) how does it affect performace, and c)
how does Zope work (in detail) with external database connections.

We are going to be using Oracle as our DB backend, all our served data will
be database *only* (some of it will be fairly large), and efficient database
connections is *crucial* to what we intend to do.

We are going to have between 10-20k users at most and I expect the maximun
of simultaneous connections to be beween 400 - 900 under heavy load; "normal
load" will probably oscillate around 25-200 simultaneous connections (these
numbers are crude guesses, but take into account increased usage over time
as more services are provided in the future).

Bandwith problems are not an issue, nor is computing power.

I would appreciate any pointers to documentation or people to ask.

Sincerely,

/dario

Dario Lopez-Kästen     Systems Developer  Chalmers Univ. of Technology
dario@ita.chalmers.se  ICQ will yield no hits    IT Systems & Services