[Zope] UserDb, GUF, LoginManager, etc, which one?

Andrew Wilcox circle@gwi.net
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:57:12 -0400

At 05:58 PM 8/14/00 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>What I want is an acl_users equivalent that has an SQL database backend.
>I want an easy to understand, easy to install solution for this that
>has some kind of future in Zope land. Currently I'm deploying 2.1 but
>that should change into 2.2 eventually.

Haven't needed to do this particular task myself, but I'll venture an
approach.  Based on code inspection rather than having a working solution,
so take it with a grain of salt.  If I were looking at this, I'd consider
coding a specific solution right in Python.  Not try to make it generic,
through-the-web, or customizable, but something very simple does the
specific job of looking up users directly from your particular database.
Take a look at the interface in AccessControl/User.py, you'll see it's
straightforward.  I'd try creating my own user folder class which
subclasses from BasicUserFolder just like UserFolder does.  When asked for
a user, such as by a getUser() method call, I'd try returning a SimpleUser
object with the fields filled in from my database.

Andrew