[Zope] problems connections to database

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:31:32 +0200 (CEST)

Tom Deprez writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I get a strange error here. Suddenly the connection to my interbase db
 > doens't works anymore. I get the following message :
 >   File /usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/gvibDA/db.py, line 178, in _abort
 >   File gvib/gvib.py, line 466, in rollback
 > Error: - Unable to complete network request to host "localhost".
 > -- Error writing data to the connection. -- Broken pipe
This is a nice and very specific error message.

It says that the communication channel to your interbase
server (or relay) has been broken and no more
data can be send through it.

Usually, this means that the other side of the communication channel
has closed the channel (this happens automatically, when the
associated process dies). Look in the logfiles of the
server (or relay) whether you can find any hint about
why this happens.

You could try to figure out, whether the problem occurs always
in the same context. In your report, the problem was in
the "_abort". Maybe, "aborts" are not handled correctly.

There is some very strange code in the ZOracle Database
adapter: When a query returns an exception, the code
assumes that the database may be hosed, closes/reopens
the connection and tries again once.
I removed the strange code (during a memory corruption
hunt) and we determined that Oracle 8.1.6 does not
need it any more.
But maybe, this is a way for your Interbase problem?

Dieter