[Zope] <dtml-comment> doesn't?

Jan H. Haul jan@haul.de
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 09:40:41 +0200

Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Chris Withers wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is is just me or does stuff inside a <dtml-comment> get parsed?
> >
> > So if you have:
> >
> > <dtml-comment>
> >
> >  ... some syntactically bad dtml ...
> >
> > </dtml-comment>
> >
> > You still can't save the page 'cos the the parser throws up an error.
> >
> > That seems silly to me. Anyone else agree?
>
> No, I disagree. Why do you want bad dtml even inside comments?

For example to find out what exactly is bad about them - i.e.,
you develop something, you cannot save it, ok, lets comment out
the part I am not sure about and try again. Or work in progress
(hey, I've gotta sleep sometime) that you want to be stored in
the ZODB even though it's not finished. Astonishingly, some
really difficult 3am problems become surprisingly easy at 9am
after a few hour's sleep.

> dtml-comment is a tag like all the other tags. It does not
> control the parser. One advantage is, you may nest comment-tags.

True.
But still, the parser could read over all comments as long as the
<dtml-comment> tags are properly nested.

Jan