[Zope] Microsoft SQL Server Access under Linux?

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:12:01 -0500

Darin asked:

> Is it possible to access an ODBC data source through Zope running under
Linux?

I'm getting ready to test such a solution this week. First, we'll try :

	ODBC Socket Server	http://odbc.linuxave.net/

and the accompanying Python Client. This will require some coding, and
wrapping the Python Client as an External Method. ODBC Socket Server isn't
the most generic approach I've seen, but it is about as simple as such stuff
can get.

If that one doesn't pan out, it's on to :

	SQLRelay
http://www.firstworks.com/site/pages/html/frames.html

which is more generic, and even has a Zope Database Adapter.

My fallback plan, assuming insurmountable snags with the first two attempts
is:

	FreeTDS	http://www.freetds.org/

which is SQL Server specific, and so the least generic of all.

Then, if all else fails, we'll have to look at the OpenLink (for $) stuff.

	OpenLink	http://www.openlinksw.com/

I'll let you know how it goes.

Later,
Jerry S..