[Zope] RE: [Zope-dev] Fighting with ZServer

T.J. Mannos MannosTJ@slcc.edu
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:48:40 -0600

Dieter,

Yes, I have, and I spent hours tearing apart my site thinking I'd seriously
screwed-up when suddenly all my images refused to load.  But that was just
on my Solaris 2.6 server.  PCs and even Macs render my pages beautifully.
It's just Netscape Communicator for Solaris that causes a problem.  I don't
have a clue.

But, I can tell you why your logs wouldn't be showing up.  Netscape caches
images so that it doesn't have to keep reloading them from the server.  If
it's reading a cached image, you won't see an entry in the server log.

Hope this helps,
T.J.

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-dev-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-dev-admin@zope.org]On Behalf
Of Dieter Maurer
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2000 2:36 PM
To: zope-dev@zope.org
Subject: [Zope-dev] Fighting with ZServer

Since this afternoon, I am fighting with ZServer.
Currently, it seems Zserver is winning ....
I do not understand, what I see...

At work: Zope 2.1.6, Sparc Solaris 2.7, Linux Netscape 4.51

  Sometimes, images are not shown by Netscape (broken image).
  No "simple" reload is able to change this, however a "forced" reload
  lets Netscape show the image correctly.
  From then on, the image is always shown correctly: by "simple" reload,
  "forced" reload or directly (served from cache).

  The strange thing, inside "Image.index_html" the failing
  "simple" reload and the succeeding "forced" reload look
  completely identical.

At home: Zope 2.1.6, Intel Linux 2, Linux Netscape 4.5

  All images are always shown correctly.
  However, there is no log entry in "var/Z2.log" for
  about 50 % of the requests that are answered by
  a 304 response. It is non-deterministic whether
  a log entry is written or not.

Did you ever see something like this?

Dieter