[Zope] speeding up dtml-tree

Clinton Roy croy@dstc.edu.au
25 Aug 2000 10:28:06 +1000

"Andy McKay" <AndyM@activestate.com> writes:

> A real crude way to hack the dtml-tree tag is to make it always assume there
> are child nodes. This prevents the look up and is a lot faster. Think of
> Windows Explorer style tag.
Not really something I want to do, and in my case wouldn't really help
anyway, as the icon chosen quite often depends on children values.

Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de> writes:
> You could implement your own cache in your external methods.

All I ended up doing was pickling the data structures that I created
and doing some simple caching. It works beautifully. Not that Zope
helped me at all. I couldn't import modules from the Extensions
directory, so I ended up having to put things in $ZOPE/lib/python. For
testing I had to have things in the Extensions directory; two copies
of things flying around isn't nice. When unpickling under Zope, python
couldn't find the class I was referring to, so I ended up just caching
the initargs.

While none of the above hoop jumping was hard, it was a pain. I
certainly hope extensions are supported better in 2.2, in particular:

* being able to import modules from the extensions directory
* not having naming problems when using extensions under zope

I'm about >< close to ditching a Zope talk I was preparing to give to my
local Unix users group, but I'm going to see if 2.2 has improved.

I'm losing faith people..
--
Clinton Roy