[Zope] Using crontab instead of rc.d

Curtis Maloney curtis@umd.com.au
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:02:39 +1000

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 09:46:11AM +0000, Stephan Goeldi wrote:
> > >5	*	*	*	*	root	./start
> > >
> > >This would start the script every five minutes. Now how do I check if
> > > the script is running after it's been started and if it wasn't to
> > > restart it again.
> >
> > Why don't you write a shell script which
> >
> > 1. starts the ./stop script, and
> > 2. starts the ./start script
> >
> > every 5 minutes? So you don't have to check if Zope runs. It's like a
> > restart.
>
> That would be very intensive on the server.  Imagine if your office file
> server was set to reboot every 5 minutes, "just in case".  It's far
> better to just check if it's dead and only then restart it.

Sounds to me like you need a script to do the following:

check if /tmp/zope.pid exists
  if it does, check if a process of the number stored in there is running
    if not, start zope
  if not, start zope.

I really suck at shell scripts, but from what I've seen, you will need some
way to grab the PID of Zope as it starts.

> -Dom

Have a better one,
	Curtis Maloney