[Zope] Nested ZCatalogs

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:19:38 +0100

sean@horse101.com wrote:

> I have asked the following question on the zope list, the squishdot site, and
> the squishdot eGroups site without a single response.  Is there something I
> am leaving out or is it a hard one?

It is a hard one...

> Question:
> I am running Zope 2.1.6 and Squishdot 6 (upgraded from 2->3->5->6).
> I have created a keyword search of my entire site. I see the Squishdot
> site listed as a cataloged object, but when I run a keyword search of my
> site, I get everything but the squishdot site items. Since my last upgrade I
> have updated the catalog to no avail.

So what you're basically saying is you have something like a ZCatalog in
the root of your site and your Squishdot Site object appears in this
Catalog?

> Incidentally, I have the zope chat
> example running also, and it shows every single posting by every
> user in the catalog objects, but these also don't show in search
> results (but this may be a design issue for chat).

The chat thing, I would guess, is a seperate and unrelated issue.

I think you can think of this as a 'nested ZCatalog problem'. What
you're expecting to happen is this:
If a root catalog contains another catalog, when you search the root
catalog, you'd like the search to be performed on the contained catalog
as well, and then results set returned to be a union of the two
searched.

That's really hard to do...

If anyone knows how to solve this, please let the list know...

cheers,

Chris