[Zope] Why Not Zope? 'Cos I like to bitch! ;-)

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
1 Dec 2000 09:06:46 +0100

Andy McKay <andym@ActiveState.com> said:
>The heavy lifting, logic and anything more should be in python. I won't
>pretend its particularly easy Zope hurt quite a lot some times, but we got
>there..

I think this is the biggest problem of Zope. Contrary to Python, Zope
makes it /hard/ to do things the simple, clean, correct way. The easiest
way to add behavior to Zoplications is to add more DTML tags to your
web pages; the second-easiest way is Python methods but it's not clear
to a lot of people what the calling semantics are; still a bit harder
is to write special ZClasses with Python methods that encapsulate your
behavior (you can only add ZClasses at one point in the tree, and that's
always /not/ the point you are doing all the other work), and the hardest way
is to separate stuff out in products (which means, as far as I understood
it, hitting lots of "Restart" buttons and certainly means that you loose
the multi-versioning capability of ZODB.

There are lots of similarities between Zope and Smalltalk. Just gimme
a decent class browser! ;-)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>