[Zope] On DTML and Python Script.

Harris Peter PHarris@jimbeam.co.uk
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:52:38 -0000

	Jason Leach writes...
	>Message: 9
	>Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 12:36:26 -0800 (PST)
	>From: "Jason C. Leach" <jleach@mail.ocis.net>
	>To: zope@zope.org
	>Subject: [Zope] On DTML and Python Script.
	>
	>hi,
	>
	>For Christmas I'd like a way to be able to use PHP or ASP type
scripting
	>rather than DTML.
	>
	>like:
	>
	>%py>
	>
	>My python Script or Code.
	>
	><py%
	>
	>Or
	><dtml>
	>
	>My DTML.
	>
	></dtml>
	>
	>Having to manager all those dtml <> and tags is not as good as it
could
	>be.  I suspect it's more of a deturant than anything else. I do
agree that
	>DMTL should be use as little as possible with Python used for
anything
	>over 10 lines.  But why have a scripting language for both methods
over
	>and under 10 lines?
	>
	>j.

	>..... Jason C. Leach
	>... University College of the Cariboo.

Yekk, no !
I use Progress WebSpeed at work. Webspeed does something
similar to what you suggest, only with Progress 4GL
embedded in the HTML between certain tags.

This is OK at first, but it often gets ugly, especially where you
are jumping in and out of 4GL just to do simple conditionals or
iterations that DTML makes not too painful with <dtml-if> and
<dtml-in>.

OK, I am one of those poor fools who is trying to do too much
in DTML. But it's not too bad as long as you factor it out well
and keep any messy code in DTML methods rather than
mixed in with your HTML.

Just my opinion, though.

Peter Harris

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential.
The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other
than the addressee.
If you have received this communication in error, please delete
the message and notify JBB (Greater Europe) Plc immediately
on 0141-249-6285.

The views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views
of JBB (Greater Europe) PLC.
 As it has been transmitted over a public network,
JBB (Greater Europe) PLC makes no representation nor accepts
any liability for the email's accuracy or completeness unless
expressly stated to the contrary.

Should you, as the intended recipient, suspect that the message
has been intercepted or amended, please notify
JBB (Greater Europe) Plc immediately on 0141-249-6285.