[Zope] z2.py -i

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:06:43 -0500

>     Set the interpreter check interval. This integer value
>     determines how often the interpreter checks for periodic things
>     such as thread switches and signal handlers. The Zope default
>     is 120, but you may want to experiment with other values that
>     may increase performance in your particular environment.
>
> can anybody explain in plain english please.  if i decrease the number,
> what'll happen?  if i increase it?  what the heck is it anyway?

Roughly:

The Python interpreter has a "main loop", and the
check interval controls how often (in terms of times
through the loop) the interpreter checks for certain
housekeeping things. In a fairly large application
like Zope, you can get a speedup by decreasing the
interval that the runtime has to stop running user
code to do housekeeping.

Exactly how much speedup you get seems to be very
dependent on your exact environment (platform,
processor speed, memory, etc.) The default that Zope
sets (of 120) seems to give a measurable speedup on
the limited platforms that we have available to test.

It is configurable so that people who like to tweak
can try different values on their particular platform
and see if there is a number that gives a better speedup
on that platform (usually they use 'ab' or a similar tool
to test requests per second on a given url).

Hope this helps!

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909