[Zope] turning off inheritance

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:43:15 +0100

"Kyler B. Laird" wrote:

> I am working on generating a directory from Zope
> objects.  There is a folder full of units (other
> folders).  These units contain people (more
> folders).
>
> Units and people both have contact information
> stored in their properties.  How do I detect if a
> person has, for example, 'contact_email' set?
>
> I've tried
>         <dtml-if "_.hasattr(this(), 'contact_email')">
> It succeeds if the person doesn't have
> contact_email set but its unit does.  I've also
> tried variations of <dtml-with ... only>, with no
> success.
>
> Any pointers?  Where could I have found the
> answer to this on my own?

I don't claim to know the complete answer, but one approach could be to
do a comparison something like:

(warning code untested):

         <dtml-if "_.hasattr(this(), 'contact_email') and contact_email
!= PARENT[0].contact_email">

another approach is to set contact_email by default and test for
emptiness

<dtml-if "contact_email==''">
<dtml-let contact_email="PARENTS[0].contact_email">

hth

Rik