[Zope] Difference between Methods and Scripts?

jpenny@universal-fasteners.com jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:33:03 -0500

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 04:56:15PM +0000, Hamish Lawson wrote:
> I see that the latest version of the O'Reilly Zope book now talks about
> Python and Perl *Scripts*, but refers still to DTML and ZSQL *Methods*.
> Does this reflect some actual conceptual difference between a Script
> and a Method, or is it simply because of the burden of also renaming
> DTML, ZSQL, etc?
>
> I understand that it is recommended that logic be implemented using
> Python/Perl Scripts, while DTML Methods should now be reserved for
> presentation; but I wasn't sure if that could be the rationale for the
> Scripts/Methods division, since ZSQL Methods don't really fall into the
> presentation category.
>
> Hamish Lawson

The whole renaming mess has been unpleasant.

The real problem is that method has a technical meaning in Python
(and perl) that predate any usage in Zope.
It happens that Python Methods do not have the same properties as
methods in Python.  This was felt to be too confusing.

But, Methods do not have any technical meaning in SQL, or in DTML.
So, it was felt that there was no large gain and much potential
confusion in renaming something that people had been using for
some time only to make it analogous to the renamed Python Method.

I still want to see a thingy patch applied!
Long live Python Thingies!