[Zope] CZAN Anyone?

Jonathan (ListServ Account) listsmurf@ur.nl
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:36:28 +0100

> It would be a very good idea. The CPAN is the main strenght
> of Perl (if someone cites the Vaults as a Python equivalent,
> it means he never used the CPAN).
>
> In the mean time, I've reserved czan.org and .net (for the
> community: of course, I will give them back freely when
> someone will implement it) unless people prefer zopefind.net
> (like rpmfind.net)?

Somebody has to own the domain :)  I'm got space available for a CZAN
mirror if necessary. It might be something that benefits the Python
community as a whole, not just Zope users, in which case 'CZAN' is not
entirely correct ;)  But hey, let's start somewhere right?

Such a product would allow users to access CZAN from within the Zope
Interface and work a bit like MS' Windows Update (if you're not familiar
with it, it rules for upgrading Windows machines over the Internet).
Install new products, new versions, hotfixes. Upgrade Zope itself.
Integrate with ZEO etc. to upgrade clusters of machines all at once...

Just thinking out loud here :)  Anyone from DigiCool care to comment?
How much of it is already in the pipeline?

Cya
Jonathan