[Zope] is it possible to import from Excel

Johan Carlsson johanc@torped.se
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:43:02 +0100

> When on a windows platform, I prefer to define an ODBC datasource on the
> excel spreadsheet, write ZSQL method that selects the fields to be
> imported, write a DTML method that iterates on returned records and call
> another ZSQL method that writes into Gadfly.
>
> You may need to handle None/Missing values to prevent from ending up in
> gadfly as 'None' etc.

If your not want to be tied to ODBC and Excel on the deployment platform,
you can always try saving the content of the Excel sheet in a text format,
if that is possible for your kind of data?
The text file could then be parsed by at external method or even imported
to the TinyTable product.
On lage amounts of data this could be quite time consuming. So it would
probably be more efficient to write a seperate import program. There might
even be one for Gadfly. In that way you don't have to use a "unreliable"
HTTP connection when importing data.

That's my 25 öre (which is approximatly 5 cents)

Regards,
Johan Carlsson

"How about Office 2000? Can it export data as XML? And in that case,
can it describe more things than just values in a text export?"