[Zope] newbie project: building a memepool-like application

Eduardo Fernandez Corrales efernandez@sistelnet.es
Wed, 02 Feb 2000 18:02:10 +0000

I have been experimenting with Zope since about 4 months ago, and one of
the most interesting things about it is how it changes the usual
development of web applications to a more standard and inteligent way. The
object-oriented approach of Zope make it very interesting.

A couple of weeks ago, while reading one of my favourite weblogs, memepool
(www.memepool.com), I notice  a very "Zopish" structure of its URLs:
www.memepool.com/Author/peterb or www.memepool.com/Subject/Travel

So I went and asked the memepool site administrator what was running under
the hood, and he replied literally:

	"a scary pile of perl, mostly"

I thought that building a memepool-like web application with Zope would be
a good way to learn. So I grabbed the Zclasses tutorial and started to
build a meme Zclass, but like good newbies do, run into some problems that
I could not solve alone. Stuff like: "How do I make Zope automatically
store and number instances of the meme ZClass that I just defined?"

Now I have taken this project with a different approach: I will try to
build the memepool application completely from the ground up and following
an OOAD (Object Oriented Analysis and Design) methodology.

The final goal of this project is to have a completely functional
memepool-like application, product or whatever, built completely from
scratch, using Zope.

But I expect many bumps in the road ahead. The problem is that although I
know a bit of OOAD, and have programmed a lot in other languages like
perl, I am a newbie in two of the main areas involved: Zope and Python.

I know though, that the Zope community will help me as I go along,
specially the people in this list.

I will keep an account of the progress of the project at the webpage
mentioned below.

The project homepage is http://zope.sistelnet.es/memez

Please e-mail me with any comments, sugestion or question.

Thanks and best regards.
--
Eduardo Fernández Corrales
eduardo@sistelnet.es