[Zope] Re. combining Zope sites

Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:51:55 -0500

There are a couple of "Gotchas", that I've run into, as far as Export /
Import.

It's very easy to Export a "Top" level folder, as long as it's not "THE" Top
Level Folder. What I mean is that when you Export a folder, all it's
contents, including properties, subfolders, etc. are automagically included,
and that's about as painless as it can get. BUT, there's no way to "Export"
THE Top Level "Zope" folder.

So, if you need to move anything that's contained in the "Zope" folder
itself, you will likely need to create a new "Temporary Folder", as a
sub-folder of the main folder which you plan to Export. Then, copy the
contents of the "Zope" folder into the Temporary folder. When you Import,
you can copy* and paste again, into the Zope folder of the new location, and
you're back in business.

Actually, a certified Zope Guru told me later that I really could have
"published" even the TOP level Zope folder, by calling ZPublisher from a
Python command, but I had already copied and pasted everything by then . . .

Of course, it's best to know this ahead of time, since it can seriously
impact your Folder Hierarchy / Design!

Another thing that induced about 1/2 day of panic once, was an error that
caused the Import to fail. I have no clue what the error was (some reference
to a math function . . .), or why it occured, but by selecting "Export as
XML", and likewise at the Import step, the error "disappeared". It's worth a
try, it worked for me.

Good Luck!
Jerry S.

* Unfortunately, Properties will have to be re-entered manually, or I guess
you could create a method to copy their names and contents into a different
object type, and reverse the process to rebuild them in their new home. Have
to try that!