[Zope] Newbie, trying to follow the installation HOWTO...

addyd@unk.edu addyd@unk.edu
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:54:41 -0600

As a linux newbie, I like the ease with which I can install and delete
packages with Redhat Package Manager (on a machine for which I have root
privilege). The installation/Upgrade HOWTO is (explicitly) not for RPM
installation. The HOWTO discusses some security features that I would like
to impliment (like "installing as a User", "starting as Root", and "running
as Nobody"). I'd like to follow those suggestions, but have to use the
Zope-2.1.2.ppc.rpm that I created from a src.rpm .

Problem is... you must install and delete RPMs as root, so I can't take the
good security advise above. So, I've decided to try dumping the rpms and
installing from src (no LinuxPPC binary that I can find). If anyone has a
suggestion for using the rpm and achieving the goals of the HOWTO, I'm open
to suggestions.

Trying to follow the suggestions in the HOWTO, I have followed them to the
letter (installing as a user) but have Permission Denied when I even try to
gunzip the .tgz source file. Assuming I have a permission problem here. I
have the directories set up exactly as shown in the HOWTO:
owner       group
nobody      myusername

I have done an su to my username from root before attempting the gunzip.
Does "nobody" have to belong to group "myusername"? I looked at /etc/group
with vigr, but nowhere can I find a file telling me what the lines in
/etc/group mean (how to edit them). At this point, I don't even know if it
is necessary.

I know this has to be kindergarten stuff here, but I've never worked with
anything where the owner was different from the group (though after reading
the HOWTO I can see how it would be useful). If anyone can remember what it
was like to be this ignorant... please take pity on me. :>)

Darren Addy
University of Nebraska at Kearney