[Zope] Zope HTML Quality

James W. Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Fri, 04 Feb 2000 11:20:08 -0500

At 10:57 AM 2/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
>On 2/4/00 7:08 AM, Jacob Gorm Hansen at jg@ioi.dk wrote:
>
> > Of course I can fix this myself in my local Zope, but are there any
> > plans to aim for, say, XHTML compliance? Keeping up with standards makes
> > more sense  than staying 100% compatible with obsolete browsers IMHO.
>
>Perhaps you could provide us a patch set that fixes the current situation to
>replace it all with CSS?  That would be a start.  As for XHTML/etc we're
>waiting for more implementations before chasing theoretical standards (ISO
>is the "standard" for networking, but how many companies use it?)  We are
>heavily investing in Mozilla and trying to use XUL to develop a much richer
>interface.  However, we can only take a subset of:
>
>     * Netscape 4.x on Mac, PC, UNIX
>     * IE 4.x/5.x on Mac, PC
>
>The intersection is what we have to follow.

One of the requirements of XHTML is little things like making sure the tag
names are lowercase, attributes use quoted values, etc.  It would seem that
Zope HTML could at least be cleaned up to that level.  Zope HTML should
also make sure that any optional closing tags be included.  This would go a
long way to making sure that Zope HTML is XHTML compliant without breaking
lesser browsers.

James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.		pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html
Ann Arbor, MI  48103