[Zope] newbie wants technology advice

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 21:17:13 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "danny shevitz" <danny_shevitz@yahoo.com>
To: "zope" <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2000 9:01 PM
Subject: [Zope] newbie wants technology advice

> I want to put up a web page that has edit controls which appear
> dynamically as needed (a clumsy list editor of sorts). A second thing I
> want to do is drag and drop, but not text. I want to be able to drag
> icons around and do things depending on where they are dropped.
>
> It goes without saying that I want to do this in a Zope generated
> document. So the question is, what technology do I need to do this?
> Obviously static HTML isn't good enough. I doubt, but don't know if
> DTML can do it. I don't want each of the drag and drop icons to be
> submit buttons, because going back to the server after each drag and
> drop would be unacceptably slow.

I'm personally quite fond of Flash for some applications. There are examples
of drag and drop shopping carts in Flash, and it has the ability to send
information and retrieve information from the server based upon actions in
the movie. Though the main Flash authoring tool costs about $250 and there
are no good, free alternatives, I still think it's a great tool. (The player
is free, available for basically all platforms and the file format is an
open spec.)

I'm guessing that there are Java ways to do it, too...

Kevin