[Zope] [newbie] I Can't Get Zope to Zope

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 22:47:45 -0500

Richard Gordon wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm still stuck as described below:
>
> At 6:22 PM -0500 2/9/00, Chris McDonough wrote:
> >I would suggest trying to troubleshoot at the HTTP level.  For example,
> >see if you can use telnet to connect to port 8080.  While in telnet, do
> >something like:
> >
> >GET / HTTP/1.0
> >
> >And see if it returns a page.  If so, you know it's a browser issue of
> >some kind.  If not... well... um... not sure.
>
> Telnet wouldn't connect, but I did manage to get an ftp client to
> talk on the port. The transcript indicated that it got a response
> back from Apache (which is only supposed to be on *80*), so I figured
> something was pretty hosed up. I disabled httpd and started over, but
> the best I could do is either "server busy" or no "document contained
> no data" when using a browser and nothing happened when I went back
> to using ftp client. Same results whether I try from across the lan
> or from the same machine as zope is running on.

I'm confused.  When you say "I did manage to get an ftp client to talk
on the port", which port do you mean?  8080 or 8021?

If you meant 8080, I'm surprised an ftp client would even give you *any*
useful information, as an ftp client by nature can't successfully talk
to an HTTP server.  (Although, come to think of it, I've never tried it,
and have no idea what it would actually do.)  The fact that you say the
ftp client returned something about *Apache* is even more puzzling.  All
that underscored by the fact you say you *can't* talk to 8080 with
telnet really leaves me scratching my head.  Can you show me the command
you're trying to use to access Zope via 8080 with telnet?  And the ftp
command you're using to try to get in?

In the meantime... How about this.  Dsiable any Zope startup in any of
your startup scripts.  Reboot so we get to a known state.  Do not start
Zope.  Issue the command:

netstat -a -n|grep 8080

See if anything *else* is trying to listen on 8080.  Repeat for "8021"
and "8099"

If you see anything show up as LISTENING on any of those ports, either
kill the offending processes or adjust the z2.py "*_PORT=" directives to
different ports (ex: HTTP_PORT='9880').  Repeat for each effected
service.  Then retry the "start" script to start Zope and test.

> At 4:48 PM -0800 2/9/00, Sam Gendler wrote:
> >For a quick hack, read the comments at the top of z2.py (in the root folder).
> >This gives the list of flags that you can provide to enable/disable certain
> >features.  I know that providing a blank port number ot the monitor server
> >disables it.  Perhaps that is all you need.  I suppose it is something like "
> >-m ''   " .You can add these flags to the code in the start script and it will
> >be passed in to z2.py
>
> I had previously attempted this, but took another swing at your
> suggestion. Nothing but server busy or not accepting connections
> messages, but I did notice that a new python z2.py process is being
> spawned with every hit, so it looks like it's tripping as it tries to
> do something. I was hoping that there would be something in the log,
> but it's empty.

z2.py is launched solely by the start script, AFAIK.  I'm really
confused.

--
Chris McDonough
Digital Creations, Inc.