[Zope] Create a product or just copy?

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:11:43 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Davis" <davis@arc.ab.ca>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2000 2:03 PM
Subject: [Zope] Create a product or just copy?

> I have created a folder called TestProject that contains a number of
> other folders including one which contains a bug tracking database front
> end.  I would like to have users (managers) be able to create a new
> Project which would basically entail copying over the TestProject
> hierarchy, setting some properties and setting up user lists.  Can this
> be down by making this TestProject a 'Product'?  If so, how should I
> proceed?

Basically, if you have a whole bunch of pieces in your TestProject that
would be the same for everyone, then it is good to make this a Product.

You should take a look at the ZClasses tutorial information on the zope
site. The basic process is that you'll move all of the parts that will be
the same for each instance into your ZClass. You'll make the ZClass _add
method (the constructor) create the user folders or whatever needs to be
changeable for each instance. You can also set up your ZClass with
properties that are customized for each instance.

> Simpler for me, but more hassle for the user would be to maintain a
> clean Project hierarchy that could simply be copied and renamed.

I guess the part of this that can get messy is if you find a bug in one of
your methods and you fix it... then, that method needs to be recopied to
every Folder...

Kevin