[Zope] ZServer breakage wrt HTTP - 2.1.3

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:15:14 -0500

From: Brett Morgan [mailto:brett@pulse.itd.uts.edu.au]

> I am playing with ZopeStudio on a stoke Zope 2.1.3 build (wo_pcgi)
> running ZServer on port 8080. It don't work. I uncomented the
> debugging dump at the top of the zopestudio.js file in the chrome and
> noticed that the server was just sending out 25 pings for the two rdf
> files it wants.

I develop ZopeStudio on straight ZServer, so I don't think that that is
the problem. The 25 pings you see is ZopeStudio waiting for Mozilla to
have retrieved and parsed the RDF, not actual data over the network.

Look in your Z2.log file, in the var directory. You should see entries
for "GET /zsTreeRoot HTTP/1.0" and "GET /zsContainerRDF HTTP/1.0". If
they are not there, Mozilla cannot find your server.

Thanks to some fixes from the Mozilla team, better error reporting is
under way.

> I retreived them without a hitch from within netscape
> 4, but mozilla can't even get the main page from zope.

Again, my copy of Mozilla has no problems. What build are you using?

> So here's a theory:
> ZServer can't grok http 1.0 compliant request thus:
>
> [brett@localhost brett]$ telnet localhost 8080
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET http://localhost:8080/ HTTP/1.0
> host: localhost:8080
>
> HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
> Server: Medusa/1.13
> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:04:23 GMT

This should be GET / HTTP/1.0

The host part and the protocol part of the URL are never sent to the
server. After all, they define on what port and on what server you place
the call.

--
Martijn Pieters, Software Engineer
http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8A32149