[Zope] Re: [Zope-Moz] Re: [Zope] ZServer breakage wrt HTTP - 2.1.3

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:39:20 +0530

I wrote:

... <snipped>

> Brett Morgan wrote:
> > So here's a theory:
> > ZServer can't grok http 1.0 compliant request thus:
> >
> > [brett@localhost brett]$ telnet localhost 8080
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > GET http://localhost:8080/ HTTP/1.0
> > host: localhost:8080
>
> What mozilla actually sends is (I got this from the log):
>
> GET / HTTP/1.0
>
> which does work with ZServer. Your example should probably work too (have to
> check with the rfc) and if that is the case, ZServer might need a patch. Or
it
> could be that ZServer doesn't recognize localhost as the hostname (but I'm
just
> guessing - I don't know how ZServer works)

From the rfc #1945 it appears that the following kind of request is _not_ valid
for webservers:

GET http://localhost:8080/ HTTP/1.0

For webservers only an 'abs_path' should be specified. abs_path = "/" rel_path.
So only requests like the following are valid:

GET / HTTP/1.0
GET /abc HTTP/1.0
GET /abc/xyz HTTP/1.0

Hence there is nothing wrong with ZServer.

The surprizing thing is that apache doesn't mind it. All of the following work
:

GET / HTTP/1.0
GET http://localhost/ HTTP/1.0
GET http://gibberish/ HTTP/1.0

Cheers,
Shalabh
 >>>  print reduce(lambda c,d:chr(ord(d)-2)+c,
      '>pk0qe0nrurBjdcncju>\"kfgxtwvcjE\"jdcncjU\014')