[Zope] GenericUserFolder Question

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:34:24 -0700

"R. David Murray" wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, James W. Howe wrote:
> > got the simple login screen.  I entered the values 'jorge' for the username
> > and 'secret' for the password.  When I pressed Ok, I didn't see the
> > index_html file for the folder, instead I got the login screen once
> > again.  Can someone help me out with some ideas on what I might have done
> > wrong (or not done at all?)
>
> I can't help, 'cause I need the same assistance you do.  I'm seeing
> exactly the same thing.  In fact, I also tried something else: left
> the folder containing the GenericUserFolder with normal permissions,
> and created a subfolder where I removed all inherited permissions.
> I then edited the authenticateUser method so that it always returned
> '1'.  I *still* kept getting the login screen when going into the
> subfolder.  Then I guess a timeout expired and I could no longer
> get into the main folder management screen from the browser I was
> authenticated as manager, so I deleted the whole mess <wry grin>.
>
> So, what are James and I doing wrong?  We just followed the cookbook
> for the simplest test case...

Did you set the permissions on the subfolder to allow a logged in user
to see it?
IIRC, the GUF test user, jorge, has a role of 'specialrole'. If you only
removed all inherited permissions, and didn't specify the new role to be
able to view the document (and access contents information, of course),
this will happen. It hit me for about 30 minutes.

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.