[Zope] Request for Advice

Tom Deprez tom.deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:19:00 +0100

Hi all,

Finally we're collecting data so that a project can get started...

Seeing some data, I can get brainstorming on how to implement the portal.
So, it's time to ask some general questions about how certain things should
be handled.

Brief introduction :

1000 'nds of information sheets need to be accessable through intranet.
These sheets contain data in much of the same way. So we can define records
and their fields. On top of these sheets several structured info rules are
placed which help people to find the correct information sheet. (This is
not a general search, because the search is fixed, ie.
Problem1/Case1/SubCase2 will bring you to Sheet7)

The view to these fixed search will also dependend on the person who is
looking at the data.

I'm thinking on following implementation ways.

* Since the search is dependend on the person, I can best make use of the
ZPTK? Is ZPTK already in stable release? Or is the ZPTK overkill?

* The records will contain lots of data (several text-fields, other
datafields, pictures, etc), so I'm thinking to make ZClasses for the
data-sheets, instead of putting them in a SQL database. Is this a correct
assumption?

* The fixed-search are generally straight tables. A selection in one table
will give another table etc, until only one possibility and thus results to
the correct data-sheet. Since this is straight forward, I think to put
these tables inside an SQL database. However is it possible to link SQL
database to the ZODB in a good way (ie a selection in an SQL database is
connected with an object in ZODB)? Is it perhaps also possible to create
this sort of tables as ZClasses in the ZODB?

All information is welcome!

Regards, Tom.