[Zope] Zope Server Performance and Scalability

J. Atwood Jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:53:08 -0500

I have been testing and asking about this for a month now and here is what I
found.

I have a Pentium 133 with 96 MB running RH 6.0, Apache, Zope and whole bunch
of Java development applications (it is loaded). It has about 10 development
servers on it only one of which is Zope. I have a home page which is the
same one as one on a NT 4.0, SQL 6.5 box (not sure about specs but am sure
it is high end). I have run queries through 95,000 records, reloaded the
home page hundreds of times and run smaller queries over and over again.
What I found is that the NT box is only faster when it comes to the big 95K
select. I can load the Zope homepage about five times to every once on the
NT. The small queries are just as fast.

I am moving to a production box for Zope that will be a 300 PII, 256 RAM, 6
GB drive running just Apache (I am thinking proxy pass) and Zope with
PostGreSQL. I will be testing all aspects of site when I get it up and
running by this weekend and will report back.

I guess the answer is, if you have a spare workstation sitting around, you
can run Zope on RH but don't even think about throwing SQL 7 and NT on it.

More to come, suggestions welcome.

JMA