[Zope] Zope Server Performance and Scalability

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:30:05 -0700

J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:04:43 -0700
> Bill Anderson <bill.anderson@libc.org> wrote:
>
> > Zope is a cakewalk to backup and restore. Data.fs files gzip
> > nicely, and bzip2 even better ;)
>
> My complaint there is the fact that data.fs is monolithic makes it
> difficult to impossible to segment your data for more useful
> backup/redundancy strategies.

Not entirely. Say you have a virtual server setup, with virtual domains
in /spam and /eggs .
You want to backup spam, but not eggs, on a daily basis.  Use ZClient to
automatically export the /spam folder to spam.zexp, and back that file
up.  This is actually on my platter of
things-to-do-when-I-get-copius-spare-time (or someone pays me to do it
;). Currently, I manually export the folder/portal/whatever, bzip2-it,
and back that up.

Hmmm ... random thought ....
Perhaps this could be used as a means for determinig some sort of
disk-usage equivilent for hosting providers? Export the person/company's
folder, and measure the size of it? It may or not be truly
representative, but it could be useful?

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.