[Zope] Behavior of <dtml-let>

Christopher J. Kucera ckucera@globalcrossing.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:46:00 -0600

I discovered an interesting attribute of <dtml-let> after it was
biting me on the nose for awhile.  I've got a property, "db_Columns",
of type "lines."  In my code, I do the following:

  <dtml-let columns="db_Columns">
    <dtml-call "columns.append('blahblahblah')">
  </dtml-let>

The append works wonderfully for my "local" variable columns, but
as it turns out, it also appends 'blahblahblah' to "db_Columns".

I totally understand why this happens, and it certainly makes sense
for <dtml-let> to function this way; I just thought that some mention
of this feature in the DTML Reference guide (or some such document)
could save someone else the trouble of tracking down why a screen is
rendering very oddly.

Thanks!
-CJ